To me the harpsichord is, with the lute, organ, and woodwinds, one of the most beautiful of instruments. I will readily admit it is not as useful as the piano in terms of flexibility of style. Yet, the harpsichord has about it an elegance, playfulness, and subtlety that's utterly contageous. It also can carry emotions of great energy. And of course, it can also sound spooky. One of my favorite things about the harpsichord is also the main reason why it was replaced by the piano: it is not as capable of changes in volume/dynamics. When I listen to music that alternates between being so quiet I have to strain my ears and so loud I wish I didn't have ears, it makes me want to rip my hair out. The harpsichord is fun because it's subtle.
A few years back my father gave me a harpsichord for my birthday. It has the name Katerina (given to it before I bought it). Owning a harpsichord has shown me that it's even more fun to play than it is to listen. I really love how the keys snap down when you press them. That makes it really fun to do trills, other ornaments, and make strumming sounds. My only wish is that I could take harpsichord lessons rather than teach myself. Sometime in the future, perhaps. In the meantime, here's a photo of Katerina:
1 comment:
She is beautiful. Perhaps one day you will take lessons. Or better yet, teach lessons of your own.
I enjoy the harpsichord's spookiness above all things. That is perhaps because I enjoy spooky.
Post a Comment