J.S. Bach was my gateway composer. He converted me from hip hop (music for bunnies?) and 90's alternative to that glorious period of music nowadays called Baroque. I loved Bach in high school and the first part of college. Within the past year I've moved to more of the obscure Baroque composers, mostly out of curiosity. I love Antonio Soler and other Iberian harpsichord composers. From France I love Rameau and F. Couperin. Spanish and Portuguese Baroque music are so bouncy and percussive. I can't think of any music in existence with more energy. French Baroque, on the other hand, is more sentimental, decadent, flowery, and ornate. But Bach, and the other Baroque German composers, seem highly logical - even mathematical. Listening to Bach is the musical equivalent of seeing highly complex geometric art with various levels interacting with each other. It's highly thought-stimulating. Sometimes I wish I hadn't ceased listening to Bach as much. Here's a piece by Bach I always loved. The harpsichord solos, especially toward the end, are stunning.
3 comments:
Nice.
Music for bunnies? You are so funny.
How you could have made this post better:
Hyperlink of the word portuguese to your favorite Portuguese-American blogger.
However, the 'tube video is a nice touch.
Music for bunnies is something I stole from The Brady Bunch Movie. I watched it on TV with my mom a few weekends ago.
Shameful. Stealing is one thing. Stealing from the Brady's is another thing entirely!
Also, did the Brady's exist during the same time as hip hop music? If so, it's apparent that Jan would have been a gangsta girl.
Post a Comment