01 September, 2009

The World's Problem

Being here on campus, observing students' behavior, and trying to enter into their lives, has led me to believe that perhaps the world's biggest problem is lack of love - not a mere unwillingness to love - but a fear of loving and of being loved and a fear of being or appearing vulnerable to others. It's a deep insecurity, an overpowering fear. When I'm walking on campus and look up at someone and notice they are looking at me, they quickly turn away their eyes and look at shrubbery across the street. I observe people walking. When there is nobody around, they have their heads up high, but when somebody approaches their heads drop down to the ground, only to rise again when the person passes. We live in a world where where people are afraid to acknowledge the existence of others.

Yesterday I was in the main student dining area, and as I was leaving I saw a group of students walking to class. One of the guys said goodbye to the others, but one of his friends gave him a hug. The guy who received the hug was really embarrassed and made some sort of joke about it, like "no homo." We live in a world under the oppression of the scandal of homosexuality, where to love another man is to be gay and to be straight is to love no men at all. This distorted way of thinking, even though it is a result of the effect of homosexuality on society, is as much perpetuated by heterosexuals as it is by homosexuals. That is why straight men have to offer explanation for hugging other men - "no homo."

I suppose the deep insecurities of fear of love have existed around me all my life, but now I am beginning to notice them in myself and in others. One of my areas of insecurity is saying goodbye to people. If I am in a large group, I feel really uncomfortable saying goodbye, so I normally just slip away quietly. Why am I so afraid of that? There is no logical reason.

Many men in our world are wounded. While it is socially acceptable for a woman to show her woundedness, men are deeply ashamed of their wounds. In my experience watching couples, women are often highly insensitive to the wounds of men. They often insult men for having wounds and make them feel ashamed of them. I don't think those women realize the gravity of their actions. They are used to thinking of men as emotionless. If a man has problems, he just needs to suck it up and, well, be a man.

Men do not treat other men any better. As a result of our society's disorder, many boys grow up without fathers or at least without good fathers. Many males don't know how to be men. No one ever taught them. But men in our society are expected to be men no matter if they were taught to be so or not. Even in our "man activities" within our work on campus, I've noticed that we don't really teach guys how to be men. We just invite guys to do manly things together and the guys who know how to be men come to those events while the guys who don't know how to be men come up with excuses why they can't come. It's not merely good enough to ask men to come to play football. The only ones who will come are the ones who already know how to play football, while the ones who never had fathers to teach them to throw a football will stay at home and play video games or sleep, or whatever they do. I have never seen a men's group offer to teach guys how to play football.

This post will end now. I have a meeting.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

When you love someone or let someone love you, that instantly makes you vulnerable. I think that’s where the “fear of rejection” comes from. I never really thought about how much that can affect us; to the point of looking away from someone passing by. Cell phones and ipods have greatly aided in attempts to ignore the world. We want love, just not the vulnerability that must come with it. I guess we don’t really know what love is.

And being exposed as not knowing something can be embarrassing, much like rejection. The football thing, I think, can be even worse because it in a way says your dad didn’t love you enough to teach you how to play football. Are you going to try and start football lessons?

Ross said...

I can't start football lessons, because I'm one of those who doesn't know how to play! ;-) My dad cares very little about sports, and it has certainly rubbed off on me. He never came to any of my baseball or soccer games, as far as I could tell. He never taught me to play any sports other than basketball, and that's because he used to be a basketball player. My dad doesn't even have enough patience to sit and watch a sports game on TV.

For that reason, sports events are rarely fun or relaxing to me. They are usually highly stressful and humiliating. I do enjoy soccer, though.

Ruth said...

Well, you can still start lessons, you just won't be the one coaching...

I don’t think the fact that you or anyone else doesn’t know about something “manly” means your dad doesn’t love you. Just like you said, maybe it just wasn’t one of his interests, or your interests possibly. But I think society tells us that we should know how to do these things, which leads to embarrassment. It is a problem. And by the way, you don’t have to know how to play football (or any sport) to be a man.

Ross said...

Oh yeah, I know that I don't have to play sports to be a man. The only reason I would learn to play more of them is so I could have more in common with other men.

On the other hand, I think sports in our society has become an unhealthy obsession for many men - especially an obsession with spectator sports.

CeeCee said...

"There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.
...
I believe that the most lawless and inordinate loves are less contrary to God’s will than a self-invited and self-protected lovelessness."

C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves