09 November, 2009

Opposing Viewpoint: Thomas Merton

Recently I wrote of Allan Bloom's book in which he criticized Americans for not being able to appreciate things for their own sake. Now I have an opposing viewpoint from Thomas Merton, who argues that things ought not to be loved for their own sake (except God):

When we do not desire the things of this world for their own sake, we become able to see them as they are. We see at once their goodness and purpose, and we come to appreciate them as we never have before. As soon as we are free of them, they begin to please us. As soon as we cease to rely on them alone, they are able to serve us. Since we depend neither on the pleasure nor the assistance we get from them, they offer us both pleasure and assistance, at the command of God. For Jesus said, "Seek first the Kingdom of God, and His justice and all these things [that is all you need for your life on earth] will be given you besides." (Matthew 6:33)

Today I am asking myself the question, what do I desire for its own sake?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

i like this idea a lot! as soon as one starts depending on something (that isn't God) then things go downhill. but i wonder, can't you appreciate something for its own sake and not depend on it? Or maybe its more, don’t solely appreciate something for its own sake, but also that God has a purpose for it. (and also appriciate and desire are different things)

very interesting!

p.s. i don't think we can go back to previous posts that aren't recent unless you've tagged them : (

Ross said...

I haven't figured out how to allow all my previous posts to appear yet. When I do, I'll let you know.