14 January, 2010

People are like Plants (Unedited thoughts from my mind)

In many ways, people are like plants. Mostly what I mean by this, is that they die. Of course, people and plants are both living and beautiful. Yes, they are different in many ways, but they both die. They are alike in that I like them both. They are different in that I like people more. People have spiritual souls, and will rise at the end of the world. They can live forever. But, they must die first.

I say this because I've found a beautiful person who I've grown to love very much - who will also die. Alas, I will too. Our home is not in this world.

In the course of my life I've found many beautiful people who I've gained inordinate attractions to - that is to say, I've loved them for who they are now. But who they are now will pass away. Beauty is such a strange thing. Beauty makes me feel young. Beauty makes my mind lift to lofty thoughts. Beauty also makes me sad.

Perhaps I am such a gloomy person because I love sadness too much. The most beautiful things to me are the things that are sad. To me, sadness is mysterious. Mystery is beautiful.

Plants are mysterious. They are also sad. That's why they're beautiful and I love them. But plants are all over the world. There are many beautiful plants that will live and die and I'll never see them. There are some I'll never even knew existed.

Maybe plants seem like people to me because it's ok for me to love them even though they'll never love me back. I don't even expect them to love me back. Somewhere in me is disorder. This is a place.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Beauty and sadness, they can easily be the same thing. I've seen beauty in death, which only makes it more beautifully sad. Great post, Ross.