06 January, 2010

Snow

When I got back to Indiana, there was snow everywhere. With the wind not blowing, it's surprisingly not all that cold feeling, even when the temperatures are in the teens. Yesterday it was that way. I went for a walk in one of my favorite walking places here, a cemetery. I had a piece of music stuck in my head from a CD of mine I found while back home in Alabama. It's the funeral motet 'Versa est in luctum', which comes from Job 30:31 and was composed by Spanish composer Tomás Luis de Victoria. This piece would have been sung at the end of the funeral Mass, before the priest comes down to sprinkle the coffin with holy water and pray the final absolution. It's a really sad piece of music, which is why it's so beautiful. The music mimics the sound of a harp being played while the word "cithara" is being sung (harp), then at the end the boys mimic loud wailing as they soar up to that high note several times.

I offer this piece to my "friends" in the cemetery, those departed folks I think about while I'm walking. One of the photos I took is a portrait placed on the tombstone, with the following photo being a letter from his daughter that was engraved on top.

Click the link, press the HQ button at the bottom of the video for high quality, then listen to this in a quiet room, preferably by yourself. :)

Job 30:31 video, with photos from my cemetery walk

2 comments:

CeeCee said...

Breathtakingly beautiful.

Ross said...

Thank you. I recently found out that the Latin word for harp, cithara (pronounced kee-tah-rah or chee-tah-rah) is the word from which we get the Spanish guitarra. :)