Dieterich Buxtehude is one of the Baroque composers many people are not aware of. He lived in the early to middle Baroque era and was a master organist. J.S. Bach, when he was 20 years old, walked 250 miles to hear Buxtehude play. There is one piece by Buxtehude I really love. It's a passacaglia in d minor. It has a haunting and hypnotic line in the bass that repeats over and over throughout the piece. I would love to have this played at my funeral. Ha!
The first recording of this piece is on a 400 year old late Renaissance organ. The sound was recorded near the player, so unfortunately there is a bit of noise from the action of the organ. This would not be heard down in the pews.
The second recording, for purposes of comparison, is played on two harpsichords. This shows you how instrumentation can really change the feel of a piece of music!
1 comment:
I would like to celebrate your entrance into eternal life with this song. Good choice.
Post a Comment