I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. I traveled to Montgomery to give talks at all the Masses at a parish. The priest impressed me by his abundant generosity and hospitality. I was touched. On Saturday night I helped him with a wedding, then walked over to the reception with him and another priest. I loved walking around Montgomery and listening to the two priests talk to one another. I mostly listened. Downtown Montgomery is a much more interesting and beautiful place than I imagined. In many ways, I wanted to stay in Montgomery for a long time. Spending time around the priests and talking to them made me want to be a priest. I know it's "dangerous" to say something like that in a world that shuns statements that imply lifelong commitment or a firm stand on something. I learned so much this weekend. I believe now that I have one of the best jobs in the world, even though at first I had many doubts and felt like I didn't fit in.
I left straight from Montgomery to the lake today, using my GPS. I set it on the option to maximize fuel economy and it ended up leading me on small dirt roads in Elmore County. Never doing that again. At the lake I got out of my car and the place was deserted. Not a person could be found and a dense silence haunted the place. Cars stood in the driveway. Food sat on the tables. All the doors remained unlocked, and the garage was open. Three dogs barked from a room they were shut in down in the basement. At first I wanted to call someone. Then I remembered the harpsichord. Uncovering it and pushing it out, I dragged a bench from another room and played it. I opened the lid fully so it would sound its loudest, and a adjusted the registry so all the strings were playing. With a slightly out of tune meantone temperament, I played an almand by Purcell and a few pieces by Bach. I have rarely enjoyed a time playing it as I did then. The harpsichord is such a satisfying instrument to play. This may sound weird, but I get intimate with my harpsichord. I love the feel of the wooden keys, and how they crunch when I press them. I love playing trills. It's so much fun.
Later I found out my family had been on a boat ride on a boat they rented for the weekend (which explains why our boats were not missing). As soon as they got off the boat, they wanted to go home. I felt like I shouldn't have come up to the lake at all at that point, but I went with my mother, sister, and her boyfriend to return the rented boat. It was a nice ride. I spoke to my mother most of the way about Montgomery.
Tonight I spent a lot of time with Ryan, one of my best friends. It might be the last time I see him for several months, which saddened me. He and I ended by doing an unplanned errand for a little excitement. He and I have a customary way of saying goodbye to each other: "Have a happy Thanksgiving!" We say that at all times of the year. It dates back to two Thanksgivings ago when we kept trying to say goodbye to each other but kept on getting distracted with new conversation topics. We ended up wishing each other a Happy Thanksgiving about five times, and now it is our standard goodbye.
Unrelated topic: Do you ever see somebody and want to help him so bad? Want to be there for him and let him know everything is going to be all right? When I see a person in pain, I want to help them so much. I have a "friend" on Facebook who I don't know well, but I see things about him in my news feed a lot and have grown to care a lot about him based on what he posts. I know that sounds kind of weird. Sometimes I think I'm too sensitive and empathetic. A lot of times I will pass by someone on the street and feel a similar sense of love and care.
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. This weekend has shown me a lot. Be thankful to God. God will provide. God hears those who boldly ask his help. St. Thérèse of Lisieux speaks of "grabbing Jesus by the heart"! That's such an extremely bold thing to say!
2 comments:
What a nice post. I really enjoyed reading it. I am glad your weekend was so blessed. God is good!
Also, this priest thing sounds cool, but [this content has been edited in the interest of the dating fast].
I am glad you enjoy something so much as you do the harpsichord. There are few people in the world who can find such joy out of a simple thing. It is a gift.
Facebook is an interesting thing. We feel intimately connected to other peoples' lives but in reality barely know them. We can use it as a poor substitute for real human contact, something that is absolutely necessary for human existence. What is the solution, though? Perhaps you can make an effort to establish a real friendship with him if you do indeed care.
Finally, I don't think it's a bad thing to be too sensitive and empathetic. I think it might be hard, though, and very Christ-like.
I don't live near the facebook guy, and will live ever further next year. I will pray for him, though.
When I was young, I was so sensitive that I'd feel guilty when I saw a commercial on TV and didn't like the product. Of course, I was also so stubborn that the guilt didn't motivate me to buy the product. But in any case, it made for a nice cry.
CeeCee, finding joy in small things is the story of my life. I once used to collect small boxes. I'd fill the small boxes with dried plant parts. It made me happy. Don't ask why. I don't know.
Post a Comment