29 July, 2010

Viola da Gamba



If you love the sound of a cello and a great male voice, listen to this piece! Music doesn't get any more expressive, elegant, and majestic than this. These videos are such a pleasure to watch because I love to see how the musicians interact with each other during the pieces.

The bowed instrument is not a cello, but a viola da gamba, which is like a cello with more strings and it has frets. It also has gut strings instead of steel strings, so the sound is softer and "sweeter." I've read that the viola da gamba is an ideal instrument for an adult to begin playing, because the technique isn't too demanding and it's tuned similarly to a guitar.

2 comments:

CeeCee said...

If you love the sound of a cello and a great male voice, I DARE YOU TO listen to this piece!

hahaha.

Oh hey, it's nice that you pointed out the interaction because most of the time when I listen to good music I like to close my eyes. I don't know why but I can feel it more if I am taking it in with less senses. I guess my hearing is heightened when my eyes are closed. The interaction is cool though. It reminds me of the interaction of people having an intense conversation. O, each gaze is dripping in unspoken emotion!!

Ross said...

Hahaha.

Yes, one of the things I really love about music is to see the performer really put himself into the piece. This isn't really possible with sound recordings. In this video, I love how the violinist and gambist look at each other.

But, I also love to close my eyes and listen. One of my favorite things to do is to put on music and take a nap. Often the music affects my dreams.