The classics courses I took at Auburn were among my most rewarding classes. Studying classics puts the world in context. That's why an education in it is so important. It's a shame that people don't see classics as very important anymore. I'd be willing to bet that the decay of our culture is being caused by the ignorance of the origins of our culture.
Over the past few weeks I've had a number of wonderful experiences with friends. A human person is like a wine. Appreciating wine is not done by drinking it by the gallons and trying hundreds of varieties all at once. To appreciate wine, one takes the time to learn about the wine to be drunk. Then one pours himself a glass, looks at the wine, swirls it around, and sniffs it. Then one takes a sip and thereafter slowly finishes the wine for the next few minutes. In the same way, enjoying friends isn't always best done by meeting them in large crowds. Sometimes a car ride through the countryside, a hike in the woods, a lazy day sitting in a windowsill, or a slow stroll through a garden, with a single person, is the best way to enjoy friendship. I had this experience today with my friend, and I feel like I know him better.
Here are some photos from today:

Ruins of a temple of the goddess Hera

The Graces

A dying Gaul, complete with mustache and Celtic collar
2 comments:
This is a very nice post. I love lazy days in windowsills!!!
Post a Comment