18 June, 2009

Trust

One of the most challenging things about training so far, for me, has been trust. Being thrown into uncertain situations has shown me how little I have trusted God before now. It has revealed to me how suspicious I can be of others. It also cuts me deeply to the heart when I discover that sometimes people don't trust me, even those closest to me. Trust has been difficult. I think trust is something society as a whole struggles with it.

Is lack of trust worth it? Maybe being suspicious will protect me from being fooled, from being out of the know, or from being taken advantage of. Maybe a few times in my life my suspicions will turn out true and I can say, "I told you so!" or "I caught you!" But is it really worth the cost? Is it really worth seeing everyone with suspicion - guilty until proven innocent? Is it really worth the negative lens through which suspicion causes us to look upon life?

Primarily, we must learn to trust God. It's easier said than done. It means we have to acknowledge that we can't figure everything out. It means we can't always control the future. But the reward of trusting God is so much better! It's a life of peace, even in adversity.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I think learning to trust God helps me trust others. Even though just trusting God is really hard. Maybe we can’t learn to trust God “theoretically”, we actually have to go out and do something that REQUIRES us to trust him (or else we will fail). The Sister Servants had this really big picture of Jesus and at the bottom it said, “Jesus, I trust in You” (I‘m sure you‘ve seen it). It was so simple, yet powerful. Easy yet difficult. I think it is a great prayer, one I hope to remember when I start to doubt what he has called me to do. May God bless you Ross, and give you reason to trust.